Sprucies In The Kitchen

Welcome to Sprucies in the Kitchen, our on-line kitchen! Please make yourself at home. "Today's kitchen is where food is shared over conversation and laughter. It is where real communion between our hearts and minds occurs, where friendship is affirmed and where love seasons every plate." --excerpted from St Euphrosynos the Cook: The kitchen as focal point of communion

Home | Meat-fare | Cheese-fare | Un-fair | Lenten
Breads | Desserts | Appetizers/Snacks | Beverages | Salads | Ethnic | Miscellaneous
(Links will go "live" as recipes in those categories are added.)

Monday, December 05, 2005

For the miscellaneous file …

Baking question: I am still wrapping my head around the idea of not baking during a fast period with milk and/or eggs. Are there substitutes for these things for baking? I am thinking of baking things like corn bread… (as opposed to something hugely decadent that would seem un-fast like)

Any thoughts?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I use Silk's Soy milk even on cereal or in pancakes. Its excellent in coffee too! And the chocolate Silk version is also really good in coffee, I would imagine also in chocolate muffins too etc

Peace and God Bless,
Simeon

Tue Dec 06, 02:36:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger mamachurchmouse said...

Apparently you can substitute egg with a table spoon of vinegar. If there isn't already baking soda in the recipe, add a tsp of that too.

Wed Dec 07, 08:32:00 a.m. PST  
Blogger elizabeth said...

hmmm.... thanks! i will have to try this sometime...

Thu Dec 08, 08:33:00 a.m. PST  
Blogger Stacy said...

You can buy egg substitute for baking purposes at the store in the baking section too. I've had a box sitting on my shelf for two years now. Never opened. Want me to send it to you? (HA!) I'm sure when I saw it I thought, "OH that will be good for baking during the fast!" I must have momentarily forgot that I don't cook or bake!

C'est la vie! Maybe someone somewhere met their "egg substitute" quota that month and got to keep their job because of my purchase. That's what I like to think when I make stupid purchases anyway.

Sat Dec 10, 07:45:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger elizabeth said...

i love your humour stacy... can u tell me more about what brand/kind of egg subsitute you had bought 2 years ago?

Mon Dec 12, 10:55:00 a.m. PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home