Sprucies In The Kitchen

Welcome to Sprucies in the Kitchen, our on-line kitchen! Please make yourself at home. "Today's kitchen is where food is shared over conversation and laughter. It is where real communion between our hearts and minds occurs, where friendship is affirmed and where love seasons every plate." --excerpted from St Euphrosynos the Cook: The kitchen as focal point of communion

Home | Meat-fare | Cheese-fare | Un-fair | Lenten
Breads | Desserts | Appetizers/Snacks | Beverages | Salads | Ethnic | Miscellaneous
(Links will go "live" as recipes in those categories are added.)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Coconut Veggie Soup

Okay. this soup is so good, and vegan, though hearty, so not so lenten...
and I am not sure about proportions, I just make a lot to eat it for a long time.

2 cans of coconut milk (superior is richer, thicker)
2 cubes or spoons of veggie bullion
many shakes of Vegetable seasoning, clubhouse brand-any brand will suffice
almost as many shakes of Spicy Pepper medly also by clubhouse
5 fist sized yukon gold potatoes,
half an onion
10 or so mushrooms cut in quarters
2 tablespoons of Demerrara (dark brown) sugar
a quarter cup of black lentils
enough water to boil the potatoes in.
left-over feast day beer
snow peas.
salt and pepper.


Instructions.

Boil Potatoes until soft, mash enough of them to thicken the soup, leaving some chunks.
add coconut milk and vegetable stock, and spices, mushrooms, lentils, a little more water, and some beer if you have it left over from the feast day previous. let boil.
fry the onions until lightly browned, then add them and the oil you boiled them in. Add Salt and Pepper while cooking, a teaspoon of salt at least, and pepper if you like.
Let it all boil until soup reaches desired consistency, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!

Oh, and the snow peas can go in at the beginning, but I suspect they would be better added just before eating. I sometimes add cilantro, which is nice, but its not neccessary.



If taken between fridge and stove, it gets thicker as the days pass, which for some is good, and for some...not so good. play with the recipe as you see fit, but the key is the spices and the coconut milk base. its gorgeous.


I must also add, it is kind of a shame that my lack of attention to detail should not be a template for recipes being added to this site, I cannot be systematic in the kitchen, so if there are any questions about this recipe, ask away.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Kassianni said...

hey david, I tried this, but couldn' find coconut milk, and so i used soy, and there was no veggie bullion, so I just diluted some old vegamite I had sitting in the back of the cupboard from the last ice age.
vegetable seasoning? i've never heard of it, so I just grabbed a spice jar at random from my cupboard, i think it was tumeric or something orangey looking,wierd smelling.
I'm kind of potato'd out already, so I substituted turnips (they never really get soft, do they?), and none of them were fist-sized, in fact, most of them were bigger than my head!
Christian hates mushrooms, so instead I used walnuts. don't ask.
brown sugar was no problem, no beer in the house, so I dumped an old pot of tea that had been sitting on the counter all night.
Lentils... all out. I used fava beans. they never quite softened up either...
I did get snow-peas, but I didn't really want to waste them in what was looking like a pretty 'iffy' soup, so I just ate them. they were good. probably the best part of the meal.
can you tell me what I did wrong?

Tue Nov 29, 03:01:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger Mr. P said...

LMAO.

thank you victoria for following oh so carefully my instructions, and for pointedly pointing out my...freedom method and its translatability. I hope you enjoyed the new base of the soup, turnips and soy milk and vegemite. sad.

Tue Nov 29, 04:41:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger thomasw said...

i think i will just stick with veggie burgers until this fast is over... in fact, i have often wondered whether the attempt to make 'yummy' lenten food is somewhat contrary to the spirit of fasting. for it seems you are supposed to find food unfulfilling and rather bland during this time away from 'truly yummy' food, i.e., Pizza etc.

Tue Nov 29, 09:34:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger Kassianni said...

isn't the whole point not to focus on food?
I find this difficult in the extreme when it comes to a vegan type diet.
what else can you think about, except, what can I make that will not have my stomache growling a half hour later?
to which my palate replies: carbs! carbs! carbs! in any shape or form! be it potatoes, be it pasta! give me carbs or give me death!

Tue Nov 29, 10:14:00 p.m. PST  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

That soup sounds pretty good. I normally like "slow food." So then should my Lenten food be "fast food?" Coconut milk is awesome.

Don't worry, I'm not going to do a SuperSize me thing...

Wed Nov 30, 08:56:00 a.m. PST  
Blogger Mr. P said...

Indeed, that is something I was wondering about, maybe its not meant to be uber tasty or hearty.

and leftover beer comes from a birthday party where enough beer was around that to drink all that was put into glasses may not have been the 'wise' choice.

maybe it would be good for sundays during fasting.

Wed Nov 30, 08:57:00 a.m. PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm new to fasting, and so my understanding may not be clear, and each fasts according to his ability, etc, but I would think that the point is less about not eating something yummy and more about training your body to recognize what it does and does not need, and not going overboard with what it does not need. Isn't it about discipline, and not punishment? I have recently been told that what we try to learn in fasting is how we really are supposed to be living all the times---that we do not need luxury, but that we must eat healthily, and so variety and enjoyment in our food does not seem to me to be anti-lenten. We're not trying to deprive out bodies, but trying to train them that what we think is depriving them is really not, so we have to be careful with our food choices and the amount we eat(so we will inevitably feel hungry, but because our body has been tricked into believing it is), but not necessarily go bland or starve.
As I say, I'm a beginner, and so still learning...

Wed Nov 30, 09:42:00 a.m. PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home